I’m happy to announce that my first e-book, The Power of Black & White in Adobe Lightroom and Beyond has just been published on www.craftandvision.com and is available as of now!
C&V is the brainchild of acclaimed photographer and bestselling author David Duchemin. C&V hosts a range of photography-related e-books at incredibly low prices: they’re just $ 5 each. On average once a month there’s a new title added to the site, and this time it’s been written by yours truly
Those of you who follow this site some time know that I’m a big fan of B&W: I wrote an article about it for this month’s Shoot magazine and regularly host workshops about the subject in which we go from capture to print.
In The Power of Black & White in Adobe Lightroom & Beyond, I’ve summarized the techniques I use to create rich, dramatic Black & White pictures. I focus on Adobe Lightroom, but since Lightroom & Adobe Camera Raw share the same processing engine, this e-book will also be useful if you work in Adobe Camera Raw. I also included an overview of some of the Lightroom Plugins I use.
Weighing in at 100 spreads, this is the largest book on the Craft & Vision site. It’s divided into 10 chapters and 3 case studies
• Chapter 1: Digital Black & White Dos & Don’ts
• Chapter 2: The Basics of Black & White Conversion
• Chapter 3: Introducing Lightroom’s Black & White Conversion Tools
• Case Study 1: The Endless Possibilities of the Black & White Adjustment Panel
• Chapter 4: Lightroom Black & White Workflow
• Case Study 2: Making the Most of an All-but-perfect Original
• Case Study 3: With a little help from my (Photoshop) Friends
• Chapter 5: Pros and Cons of using Presets
• Chapter 6: Dodging & Burning with Graduated Filters and the Adjustment Brush
• Chapter 7: Lightroom Plugins for Black & White Conversion
• Chapter 8: High Dynamic Range Imaging (HDR) and Black & White
• Chapter 9: The Finishing Touches: Selective Color, Tinting & Toning & Image Borders
• Chapter 10: The Print
If by now you haven’t rushed over to the Craft & Vision site yet and would like some more convincing, here’s three more reasons to do so:
1) until April 16th, 2011, 11.59 PST, if you use promotional code BWLIGHT4 upon checkout, you’ll get a 20% discount on the book (pdf version only) but there’s more!
2) If you purchase five or more books (remember, they’re all priced @ $ 5 each) and you use the promotional code BWLIGHT20, you get a 20% discount on your entire purchase (pdf versions only). You shouldn’t have much trouble finding 4 more that appeal to you. But, there’s still more! Anyone else thinks I’m starting to sound like one of those Shopping Channel Commercials? ‘If you order now, you get the free Muscle Trainer Pro!’
3) No, we’ve got something far better than that! Who needs a perfect body if you can have perfect pixels: one of the plugins that I talk about in the book is Silver Efex Pro 2 from Nik Software. The people of Nik have provided three copies that will be randomly distributed among people buying the book before April 16th, 2011, 11.59 PST
P.S. You can buy the book with a Paypal account or, if you don’t have one, just with your credit card. After payment is approved, you’ll have the choice of either downloading it in 4 separate parts (if you have a slow download capacity) or, if you have a fast connection, just use the last option to download the file as one PDF (which is what I would recommend)!